Shop Gorilla Dust Designs

Buy your Gorilla Dust Designs jewelry today!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

First Rejection Letter 2014


 
 
 
 
 
 
Dear Artist,
 
Thank you for your interest in the Alpharetta Arts Streetfest, April 26th and 27th, 2014.  We regret to inform you that your application was not accepted for the show.
 
We had an overwhelming response of outstanding artwork from artists throughout the U.S. and the acceptance process was very competitive.  Please keep in mind that our show can accept no more than 100 artists.
 
Each artist’s application was individually reviewed and scored by the members of the jury, comprised of professionals from the arts community. 
 
Some of the judge’s criteria were:
·        Did the artist complete the application process and present their work easily to the jury?
·        Art is handmade and original versus buy/sell. Studio photo must be submitted with application.
·        Strength and power of the artwork is good to above average.
·        Booth presentation will add to the overall appearance of the festival.
 
WE CANNOT DISCUSS ACCEPTED OR DECLINED INFORMATION BY PHONE, EMAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON.
 
Thank you for your interest in the Alpharetta Arts Streetfest!
 
Cordially,
 
Kim Dodson                                                 
Special Events Manager                                
kdodson@alpharetta.ga.us                           
 
 
Caitlin Lawrence
Special Events Coordinator
City of Alpharetta
2 South Main St.
Alpharetta, GA 30009
 
 
_______________________________________________________________________________
 
So there we have it. My favorite bullet point is the third one: strength of artwork is good to above average. Is it just me or is that a nice way of trying to say "hey, your artwork stinks and we don't want it filthing up our amazing show"?
 
In a fit of optimism, brought on by my huge success at my Pittsburgh show, the large commission checks I have been getting from the Decatur gallery (and possibly fueled by a bottle of wine), I applied to a large number of shows this year that I have been rejected from before. I had some new pictures taken and threw caution to the wind (plus a bunch of application fees). Now I am just waiting on the rejection letters to begin their annual delivery. I know I should be more positive, but that first one always puts me in the worst of moods.
 
I almost didn't apply to the Alpharetta Streetfest having been twice rejected in the past two consecutive years, but I kept getting the emails saying "application deadline approaching, application deadline extended, etc.". I fell for it!! Sucker! I am taking myself of that mailing list. Alpharetta Streetfest I am not only burning the bridge, I am detonating it. I am sure the sting of not receiving my $25 application fee next year will really cut into your profits. Sorry about that, but I need the $25 for important things like gas, wine and tacos.
 
I also applied to Inman Park (should have that check returned for the third year in a row any day now) and Decatur Arts Festival. The Decatur festival I tried for because my jewelry sells in the gallery right across the street from where the show is held and . . . . I should get that check back shortly too.
 
As far as the Splash Festivals which used to be my favorite shows, I don't even get invited to those anymore. What's up with that? I'm not quite sure, but I really did love all of those shows. Good locations, good crowds, great organizers. I miss those quite a bit.
 
As much as I love to travel (and I really, really do!!), why is it that I can get into shows in every other state, but I can't even get into one show in the state I live in?????
 
 
 
 

No comments: