Shop Gorilla Dust Designs

Buy your Gorilla Dust Designs jewelry today!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Show Excitement


I had applied to the Indie Crafstravaganza last year and didn’t get in which, let's face it, happens now and then. Nothing to get depressed about. Through a very complex formula (also known as guessing), I have determined I have around a 63% acceptance rate. That's right, 63%. Impressive, right? Anyhow, it seems all 37% of the rejections come at once though which can be a little crushing when you get the third one in three days in your inbox. But hey, rejections happen and life goes on. Taco Bell helps take away the sting. Stay away from their new shrimp offerings though. I love you Taco Bell, but shrimp, what the heck are you thinking????


Because of the past year’s rejection to the show, I almost didn’t apply this year. The deadline was April 1st and I kept going back and forth trying to decide, but then I thought hey, why not? I mean really, why not?? I took some new pictures and was ready to go. April 1st came and I took a nap . . . and didn’t wake up until April 2nd. Don’t judge, April 1st was an exhausting day. So I missed the deadline, doh! However, lucky for me they had extended the deadline until April 5th so I figured that must be a sign. I applied and you guessed it, got in. Yay and yay! I am super excited for this show, I just think it is going to be a fun time. It's one of those that even if I had not gotten in I would have gone to shop again. I went last December and there were some amazing artists there. Even if you aren't accepted into a show, shopping a show is a great way to see what types of artists/crafters they were looking for. Not only that, it's a great way to shop - I found some really neat xmas presents last year.


So there you have it. If you get rejected, try again and then try again after that – take new pictures, design new stuff and give it a go. Oh yeah, be nice! Just because you were rejected does not mean the show organizer hates your guts and hates your stuff. Really it doesn't. Aside from a jury fee, there isn't too much to lose in applying. Although if you get rejected three times in a row, maybe you should give up on that particular venue. At a certain point you have to know when to fold them. Know when to walk away and know when to run. Kenny Rogers, words to live by. Oh man, now I want to do a karaoke duet to Islands in the Stream. . . my point was that there is a show out there for you, just keep looking until you find it. When you do find it, head into it like a shark driving an assault vehicle through a herd of seals wearing chum pants!


No comments: